Total Pageviews

Jul 18, 2020

Having to Choose a Residential Setting

This has been such a hard year for all of us.  This year has been hard for our family for a different reason.   I had to place my Garrett in a residential setting.  I've been fighting for years to figure out how to maneuver autism and puberty.  I've been trying to figure out how to manage aggressive outbursts and self injury; how to keep him safe at home, when all he wanted to do was find a way out and go skinny dip in whoever's pool he happened to discover..   My "gentle giant" was hit hard by puberty and changing emotions.   Because of this, he developed behaviors that were considered dangerous to himself and others, and therefore; for his own safety as well as everyone else's, it was determined that residential placement would be the best thing for him.   My poor guy.  He is doing so much better there, thankfully.  He has structure and a 1:1 aid who he feels super comfortable around.  This ridiculous pandemic has resulted in only video visits so far, but we are hoping to be able to see him and get our special Garrett hugs in the next couple weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment