Total Pageviews

Jun 25, 2012

Eggs...and Unintended Sensory Fun


As an autism mom...I'm grateful for eggs.   This is said with sarcasm because I just found Jason kneeling in a pile of cracked eggs in my kitchen.  I guess I'm grateful for the fact that I was forced to clean up the kitchen floor and give Jason a bath.  Two clean things by 6 a.m.  Hooray.  This is not a new experience (as seen in the above picture of Caiti 4 or 5 years ago).  This is how I know the trick a friend of mine told me of pouring salt on the egg splatter to help it solidify a little bit and make it easier to clean up.  Reminds me of when Kevin was a custodian at a school and used saw dust to clean up vomit...same concept.  Ewww.   My kids are enthralled with throwing eggs on the ground, watching the shells crack and the yolk splatter all over the place.  It is such sensory delight to crinkle the shells up into little bits for mommy to clean up. What fun to run your fingers through the eggy, gooey texture of the yolk!  HEAVEN!!!  Too bad it's not okay to eat raw eggs...which is why occupational therapists everywhere haven't figured out the delight found in smashing eggs and playing in the crunchy shells and gooey yolk for instant sensory fulfillment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment