Total Pageviews

Apr 11, 2012

Light it Up Blue

April is autism awareness month.  I loved this "picture of the day" from autism speaks.  They have a light it up blue campaign every April for autism awareness.  As an autism mom, I'm grateful for all the organizations/people out there that are working towards autism awareness.
It's crazy that I hadn't even heard of autism until my nephew Ford was diagnosed with Asperger's.  At the time, he was the only kid I knew on the spectrum.  When I met Kevin, I was introduced to his nephew, who has severe autism.  So I knew one person on each end of the spectrum, but didn't know what the middle looked like.  Now I have three kids with autism who are as different as can be from each other and are in between my two nephews.  As they say, if you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.
I was shocked to read that autism is now present in 1 in 88 children.  That is why awareness is so important.  I found this chart on autism while browsing pinterest.  I think it's so helpful for parents who may be wondering if their child has autism or what it is that makes them different.

1 comment:

  1. <3 I love you Christine! Thank you for mentioning my sweet Ford. <3

    ReplyDelete